Darker Days Radio: Darkling #16

29Jan

Mike (Lost_Heretic) is joined by Mark (GehennaHeretic) in a discussion of the Vampire Translation Guide, considering what's included and what's not, with a special look at how to improve your Vampire games.

Mike follows up to interview with Monica Valentinelli discussing Scenes of the Embrace, Vampire: the Requiem's newest product. You can check out Monica's website at www.mlvwrites.com.

We do not currently have a forum, so discuss the episodes at http://www.facebook.com/DarkerDaysRadio

Send contest submissions to darkerdaysradio-at-gmail.com

Listen Now:

• Hearing Impaired

Hey, do you have any transcripts for people who are hearing impaired? This is my biggest frustration with podcasts.

Feb 5, 2011 at 4:15 am
  • darkerdays2

I rarely use a transcript in these sorts of episodes but if you have any questions feel to ask them at www.facebook.com/DarkerDaysRadio or just post them right here.

I had trouble hearing some of Mark’s remarks during the interview so I can understand your desire for a written companion. :)

Feb 5, 2011 at 5:23 am
  • Hearing Impaired

You really should have transcripts for all of your episodes. Not just for people who are hearing impaired, but for anyone who just wants to be able to quickly search for something or have a hard copy for reference purposes.

Transcripts, I think, are just overall better than having to slough through a podcast.

Feb 5, 2011 at 7:01 am
  • darkerdays2

Well, most podcasts don’t have transcripts if they aren’t needed - it’s simply too much extra work. I typically come into a segment with one or two pages of hand written notes as talking points. Doing a full transcript would be hours of extra work. To put things into perspective, Darker Days #21 took 8 hours to edit and compile - that doesn’t even include recording or planning!

That said, I did check my e-mail and found some notes that Mark and I planned before hand. See if this is a helpful reference:

1. What it is:

We’ll briefly go over what the goal of the Translation Document is - a direct port of rules and ideas so they fit into the system and setting of their sister game line.

2. What it isn’t:

A book that balances rules and abilities. Does not provide translations of obfuscate, presence, celerity, etc.

3. Clans we’d like to talk about:

Assamites: I think there’s a bunch of cool ideas here.

Tremere: Only two ideas, neither of which are very interesting.

Giovanni: Not too many cool ideas.

Mekhet: 1 really awesome idea!

Daeva: 1 really awesome idea!

Gangrel (from Requiem): Their translation would make good City Gangrel.

4. Sects we’d like to discuss:

Camarilla: I think Matt came up with a lot of great ideas here.

Sabbat: I REALLY like the ideas of the Sabbat and I think we could talk about this for a while.

None of the Covenants really interested me, honestly. Got any comments?

5. Disciplines we’d like to discuss:

No comments other than it’s nice to see full conversions for Necrommancy/Thaumaturgy. I haven’t tested any of the new systems.

6. Other remarks:

Decent guidelines for translating entire characters.

Feb 5, 2011 at 8:01 am
  • Hearing Impaired

Do you have more notes like that? For any of the other episodes? It’s not super-helpful to me, but it’s a start.

Feb 7, 2011 at 6:19 am
  • Hearing Impaired

Well, actually, anything is helpful at this point.

Feb 7, 2011 at 6:20 am
  • darkerdays2

I do have other segments written up in some depth - I’ll look into posting those next weekend.

Feb 7, 2011 at 9:02 am